Friday, December 01, 2006

The nativity on the silver screen

Well I got to see it last night with all my fellow church going folk. Our church is really into because our pastor Dr. Jeremiah has written a sermon seris, a book and a tract all to go around this new movie.
Besides that fact that I have found out with each even that this group really needs help in their panning and executing events. If mid cities college and career group had one to a movie we would have had more than 6 people there and this group is about 5 times bigger. Maybe I will be able to help in that way.

Ok on the the movie! It was to quote my new church friend Kelly, "Special". haa haa.
Most of the movie was about Mary's life and what she went thru and all that which I thought was fairly accurate is at least a good glimps. Like many supposedly bible based big screen productions there were a few things I myself knew were a little wrong.

They did not have Gabriel stand beside the altar and speak to Zacchariah. it was just a voice in the incense. (I guess this looks cooler than a guy standing there).

They did have the maji show up at the same time as the shepheards at the place of birth even though they did not meet with herod until after jesus had been born but that does not take away from the story too much. along the lines of maji again they skipped the dream telling them not to go back to Herrod. They just made it an inkling.

Just on my own note period. There is never a mention of a donkey in the bible for this event but I guess it was normal way to travel if you have to take your wife 100 miles.

I was a little sad that they tried to explain the star. they said it was two planets and a star all comig together. that would have been fine but as you can tell even in the movie they had great star records and logs and venus and saturn did not align and make a star it would have been in the records. i researched this about 4 years ago and there is no expliation for it except an act of the Lord. But I guess it is easier to explain it with fake science in a movie.

I was glad they did not make Mary a sinless girl like the catholic church protrays her. She had a little attitude at time and I was glad they showed her a s a real girl. A little strong willed but hey, realistic in my view.

I also liked how they made story situation we have heard for years more realistic like Especially when Joseph was looking for a place to stay in bethlehem, the frantic husband looking for a place because his wife is in labor, I was glad they did it thst way, and it gave me a little chuckle.

Overall it was good. I found fewer innacuarcies than I did in the passion and they actual got a bit of humor in there with the maji (who honestly you can look at one of them as witnessing in a way to his fellow maji) and some of the comments made in good taste, will make you giggle. It actually did show to the best of my knowledge what it would have been like for Joseph and Mary in their life, time and jouney. Especially when Joseph was looking for a place to stay, the frantic husband looking for a place because his wife is in labor, I was glad they did it thst way.

See it if you want or even better take a friend so you can talk about it afterwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of religious films...

Mel Gibson is coming to my campus Thursday night and he's bringing Apocalypto with him for a preview... ...hm...

Zoogirl said...

should be special!! take that in whatever tone you want.